What’s for dinner?

Curious visitors

July 23, 2017

Adulting Is Not My Favourite






I recall myself picking up the phone from a boy who memorized my residential number better than anyone. I could sit there on the armchair for an hour, with the indistinct sound of his mom reminding him to eat, and not some cheesy chat bubbles that'd be gone after several months.

I recall myself as a kid playing hide and seek with him, who always hid on the same, favourite spots. Not just sitting under a tree, watching a football game.

I recall myself going to his house in need of an evening bike-riding companion; when he gave me the newly released computer game and not a hundred dollars worthed flowers for an attempt to impress me.

I recall myself waking up on the bed from a car trip doze off, trying to remember how I ended up there. Breakfast and cartoon movies were all I had on the list, the times where I didn't have to check my phone and type an explanation that I fell asleep last night.

I recall my dad reminding me not to sleep without brushing my teeth, just years ago before the reminder turned into "don't go home too late" when I was on a date.

I recall myself crying when mom didn't buy me a SpongeBob, being clueless about heartbreaks which surprisingly are tearjerker too.

I recall myself figuring pain as a bleeding knee, not knowing that pain now is more twisted than that.

I recall myself studying hard because they told me that it was all for good things to happen, but sadly they forgot to tell me to do the things I love.

I recall myself being unreasonably too excited over marriage life, seeing uncles and aunties living happily with their babies, without being told that I had to go through abundance series of bitter romance with assholes before getting into that stage. Everything was just fine when lies were all about unicorns, tooth fairy taking your lost tooth from under the pillow, and is not about excusing yourself for some work to do while you're busy having dinner with someone else. Seems like boys were only told to treat women like her mother, that they forgot to tell them not to treat more than one at the same time.

When coming-of-age movies framed first kiss and high school as the gate to our teenage dream, they failed to train me how to survive from monsters and backstabbers inside it. They only told me to dream high without giving me ways to heal from severe failures. And after apprising me to unfailingly be myself, they'd never told why Disney princesses were always so thin and pretty.

So, mom, dad, why did you pat my head and smile when I said I wanted to be an adult back then?


How irony.
Share This

No comments:

Post a Comment